Prof. Stuart Burgess, professor of engineering design at the University of Bristol (UK), excels in mechanical engineering, both in manmade devices and God’s design in nature. He has published many articles and books on his research.
Latest Articles by Prof. Stuart Burgess
Honors and Awards
- 2021, Fellowship, Clare Hall College, Cambridge University
- 2021, Designer of the transmission for Team GB bikes, Tokyo Olympics
- 2019, IMechE James Clayton Prize (Biggest contribution to mechanical engineering science in UK)
- 2019, Designer of the SA deployment mechanism, ESA’s Metop C satellite
- 2017, Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition – Olympic bike design
- 2017, IEOM Global Engineering Education Award
- 2016, Designer of the transmission for Team GB bikes, Rio Olympics
- 2008, Wessex Institute Scientific Medal (for bio-inspired design)
- 2002, Designer of the SA deployment mechanism, ESA’s ENVISAT satellite
- 1997, Turner’s Bronze Medal (for spacecraft design)
- 1993, Turner’s Gold Medal (for spacecraft design) (Presented by Prof R. N. Franklin, Vice Chancellor of City University)
- 1993, UK Mitutoyo Design Prize (for spacecraft design)
- 1986, UK Design Council Molins Prize (for mechanisms design) (Presented by Peter Morrison, Minister of State for Trade & Industry)
- 1985, UK IMechE Queen’s Silver Jubilee Prize
Professor Burgess has worked as a professional designer on projects for the European Space Agency and the British Olympic Cycling Team. He has published over 180 papers on the science of design in engineering and nature. He has lectured at both Cambridge University and Bristol University in the UK. He is also a visiting professor at Liberty University, USA. From 2004 to 2011, he was head of the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Bristol University. He is author of the books Hallmarks of Design, He Made the Stars Also, and Design and the Origin of Man. He has lectured in many countries including the USA, Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Singapore, and Japan. He is married to Jocelyn and they have five children and several grandchildren.
Find out more at ProfStuartBurgess.com.
- Burgess, Stuart C. “A Review of Linkage Mechanisms in Animal Joints and Related Bioinspired Designs.” Bioinspiration & Biomimetics 16, no. 4 (June 10, 2021): doi:10.1088/1748-3190/abf744.
- Zhang, Kaiqiang, Toshiaki Hatano, Thang Tien Nguyen, Christopher Edwards, Guido Herrmann, Stuart Burgess, Massimo Antognozzi, Said Khan, Robert Harniman, and Mervyn Miles. “A Super-Twisting Observer for Atomic-Force Reconstruction in a Probe Microscope.” Control Engineering Practice 94 (2020): doi:10.1016/j.conengprac.2019.104191.
- Cao, Chongjing, Xing Gao, Stuart Burgess, and Andrew T. Conn. “Power Optimization of a Conical Dielectric Elastomer Actuator for Resonant Robotic Systems.” Extreme Mechanics Letters 35 (2020): doi:10.1016/j.eml.2019.100619
- Zhang, K., Toshiaki Hatano, G. Herrmann, M. Antognozzi, Christopher Edwards, T. T. Nguyen, S. Burgess and M. Miles. “A Multimode Transverse Dynamic Force Microscope—Design, Identification, and Control.” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 67 (2020): 4729–4740, doi:10.1109/TIE.2019.2924618.
- Chongjing, Cao, Stuart Burgess, and Andrew T. Conn. “Toward a Dielectric Elastomer Resonator Driven Flapping Wing Micro Air Vehicle.” Frontiers in Robotics and AI 5 (2019): doi:10.3389/frobt.2018.00137.
- Thang Nguyen, Said G Khan, Toshiaki Hatano, Kaiqiang Zhang, Christopher Edwards, Guido Herrmann, Robert Harniman, Stuart C. Burgess, Massimo Antognozzi, and Mervyn Miles. “Real-Time Sliding Mode Observer Scheme for Shear Force Estimation in a Transverse Dynamic Force Microscope.” Asian Journal of Control 20, no. 4 (July 2018): 1317–1328, doi:10.1002/asjc.1416.
- Wragge-Morley, R, J. Yon, R. Lock, B. Alexander, and S. Burgess. “A Novel Pendulum Test for Measuring Roller Chain Efficiency.” Measurement Science and Technology 29, no. 7 (Maya 29, 2018): doi:10.1088/1361-6501/aaa239.
- De Silva, G., S. C. Burgess, T. Hatano, S. G. Khan, K. Zhang, T. Nguyen, G. Herrmann, C. Edwards, and M. Miles. “Optimisation of a Nano-Positioning Stage for a Transverse Dynamic Force Microscope.” Precision Engineering 50 (October 2017): 183–197, doi:10.1016/j.precisioneng.2017.05.005.
- Boxerbaum, Alexander S., Matthew A. Klein, Jeffrey E. Kline, Stuart C. Burgess, Roger D. Quinn, Richard Harkins, and Ravi Vaidyanathan. “Design, Simulation, Fabrication and Testing of a Bio-Inspired Amphibious Robot with Multiple Modes of Mobility.” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics 24, no. 4 (August 2012): 629–641.
- Burgess, Stuart C. “A Backwards Design Process for Mechanical Design.” Journal of Mechanical Design 134, no. 3 (March 2012): 1–10.
- Raabe, D., A. Harrison, A.J. Ireland, K. Alemzadeh, J. Sandy, S. Dogramadzi, C. Melhuish, and S.C. Burgess. “Improved Single- and Multi-contact Life-time Testing of Dental Restorative Materials Using Key Characteristics of the Human Masticatory System and a Force/Position-controlled Robotic Dental Wear Simulator.” Bioinspiration & Biomimetics 7, no. 1 (March 2012): 1–17, doi:10.1088/1748-3182/7/1/016002.
- Araromi, Oluwaseun A., and Stuart C. Burgess. “A Finite Element Approach for Modelling Multilayer Unimorph Dielectric Elastomer Actuators with Inhomogeneous Layer Geometry.” Smart Materials and Structures 21, no. 3 (February 10, 2012): 11, doi:10.1088/0964-1726/21/3/032001.
- Conn, Andrew T., Chung Seng Ling, and Stuart C. Burgess. “Biomimetic Analysis of Insect Wing Kinematics for Flapping MAVs.” International Journal of Micro Air Vehicles 3, no. 1 (March 2011): 1–11, doi:10.1260/1756-8218.104.22.168.
- Araromi, Oluwaseun A., Andrew T. Conn, Chung Seng Ling, Stuart C. Burgess, J.M. Rossiter, and Ravi Vaidyanathan. “Spray Deposited Multilayered Dielectric Elastomer.” Actuators Sensors and Actuators A: Physical 167, no. 2 (June 2011): 459–467, doi:10.1016/j.sna.2011.03.004.
- Burgess, S. C., J. Wang, A. Etoundi, R. Vaidyantahan, and J. D. Oliver. “A Functional Analysis of the Jaw Mechanism in the Sling-Jaw Wrasse.” International Journal of Design & Nature and Ecodynamics 6, no. 4 (2011): 258–271, doi:10.2495/DNE-V6-N4-258-271.
- Burgess, S.C., J. Wang, and R. Vaidyanathan. “A Comparison of the Efficiency of the Bicycle with Analogous Systems in Nature.” International Journal of Design & Nature and Ecodynamics 6, no. 2 (2011): 97–108, doi:10.2495/DNE-V6-N2-97-108.
- Lock, R., R. Vaidyanathan, S.C. Burgess, and J.H. Loveless., “Development of a Biologically Inspired Multi-Modal Wing Model for Aerial-Aquatic Robotic Vehicles Through Empirical and Numerical Modelling of the Common Guillemot, Uria Aalge.” Bioinspiration & Biomimetics 5, no. 4 (December 2010): 3404–3409, doi:10.1088/1748-3182/5/4/046001.