Prof. Stuart Burgess, professor of engineering design at the University of Bristol (UK), excels in mechanical engineering, both in manmade devices and God’s design in nature. He has published many articles and books on his research.
Latest Articles by Prof. Stuart Burgess
Beauty—The Undeniable Witness
God made his handiwork so clear that even a child can see it (Romans 1:18–20). The beauty of His work is inescapable—and an undeniable witness to His existence.
What if we could build light-weight flying machines that flap their wings and maneuver silently, without conventional airplane engines?
Honors and Awards
UK National Awards for Engineering Design
- 2008, Wessex Institute Scientific Medal
- 1997, Worshipful Company of Turners Bronze Medal
- 1993, Worshipful Company of Turners Gold Medal (Presented by Professor R. N. Franklin, Vice Chancellor of City University)
- 1993, UK Mitutoyo Design Prize
- 1986, Design Council Molins Prize (Presented by the Right Hon Peter Morrison, Minister of State for Trade & Industry)
- 1985, IMechE National Queen’s Silver Jubilee Competition, Second Place
His research interests include bio-inspired design, biomechanics and design in nature. He has worked in industry as a professional designer working on projects for the European Space Agency. He has published over 130 secular papers on the science of design and has been coeditor of the International Journal of Design & Nature. He has lectured at both Cambridge University and Bristol University in the UK. He is also a visiting professor at Liberty University, USA. From 2004 to 2011 he was head of the department of mechanical engineering at Bristol University.
Professor Stuart Burgess BSc(Eng), PhD, CEng, FIMechE has taught engineering design at Cambridge University and Bristol University in the UK. He has won many national awards for engineering design including the Turners Gold Medal and a Mollins Design Prize. He has published over 130 scientific articles on design in engineering and design in nature. He has seven patents and carried out design projects for industry including designing parts of rockets and spacecraft for the European Space Agency. He is author of the books Hallmarks of Design, He Made the Stars Also, and Design and the Origin of Man. He has lectured in many countries including the USA, Australia, Singapore, and Japan. He is married to Jocelyn and they have five children.
- Boxerbaum, Alexander S., Matthew A. Klein, Jeffrey E. Kline, Stuart C. Burgess, Roger D. Quinn, Richard Harkins, and Ravi Vaidyanathan. “Design, Simulation, Fabrication and Testing of a Bio-Inspired Amphibious Robot with Multiple Modes of Mobility.” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics 24, no. 4 (August 2012): 629–641.
- Burgess, Stuart C. “A Backwards Design Process for Mechanical Design.” Journal of Mechanical Design 134, no. 3 (March 2012): 1–10.
- Raabe, D., A. Harrison, A.J. Ireland, K. Alemzadeh, J. Sandy, S. Dogramadzi, C. Melhuish, and S.C. Burgess. “Improved Single- and Multi-contact Life-time Testing of Dental Restorative Materials Using Key Characteristics of the Human Masticatory System and a Force/Position-controlled Robotic Dental Wear Simulator.” Bioinspiration & Biomimetics 7, no. 1 (2012): 1–17.
- Araromi, Oluwaseun A., and Stuart C. Burgess. “A Finite Element Approach for Modelling Multilayer Unimorph Dielectric Elastomer Actuators with Inhomogeneous Layer Geometry.” Smart Materials and Structures 21, no. 3 (2012): 11.
- Conn, Andrew T.,, Chung Seng Ling, and Stuart C. Burgess. “Biomimetic Analysis of Insect Wing Kinematics for Flapping MAVs.” International Journal of Micro Air Vehicles 3, no. 1 (March 2011): 1–11.
- Araromi, Oluwaseun A., Andrew T. Conn, Chung Seng Ling, Stuart C. Burgess, J.M. Rossiter, and Ravi Vaidyanathan. “Spray Deposited Multilayered Dielectric Elastomer.” Actuators Sensors and Actuators A: Physical 167, no. 2 (June 2011): 459–467.
- Burgess, S.C., J. Wang, A. Etoundi, R. Vaidyantahan, and J.D. Oliver. “A Functional Analysis of the Jaw Mechanism in the Sling-jaw Wrasse.” International Journal of Design & Nature and Ecodynamics 6, no. 4 (2011): 258–271.
- Burgess, S.C., J. Wang, and R. Vaidyanathan. “A Comparison of the Efficiency of the Bicycle with Analogous Systems in Nature.” International Journal of Design & Nature and Ecodynamics 6, no. 2 (2011): 97–108.
- Lock, R., R. Vaidyanathan, S.C. Burgess, and J.H. Loveless., “Development of a Biologically Inspired Multi-modal Wing Model for Aerial-aquatic Robotic Vehicles Through Empirical and Numerical Modelling of the Common Guillemot, Uria Aalge.” Bioinspiration & Biomimetics 5, no. 4 (December 2010): 3404–3409.
- Burgess, Stuart. “The Beauty of the Peacock Tail and the Problems with the Theory of Sexual Selection.” Journal of Creation 15, no. 2 (August 2001): 94–102.
- Burgess, Stuart. “Critical Characteristics and the Irreducible Knee Joint.” Journal of Creation 13, no. 2 (August 1999):112–117.