on December 26, 2011
From his experience as a teacher and pastor, Tim Chaffey has provided these tips for reaching young people with the gospel.
- Pray: Not only seek the Lord’s guidance but also continually pray
for the young person you’re trying to reach. Recruit others to pray with you.
- Walk the walk: You may have heard the saying, “Practice what you
preach.” It’s essential. Your authentic life paves the way for young people
to accept what you say.
- Be genuine: Too many people try to reach junior high students by
acting overly goofy and crazy. Don’t try to be somebody you aren’t. Kids can
see through the act.
- Challenge them: While you want your teaching to be age-appropriate,
most youth really do want to learn and have the capacity to understand much
more than you may assume. You’ll be surprised how much they can grasp.
- Learn with them: Let them ask questions, and do your best to provide
biblical answers. If you don’t know something, just be honest. Take the time
to look up the solution—preferably with their help—and discuss it with them.
- Tell them straight: Never water down the gospel. Share what Christ
did for them, but also let them know how the world treats Christians (2 Timothy
3:12). They should know what to expect if they trust in Christ.
- Act out: For those who are believers, discuss how to take a firm
stand on biblical authority in every area of life. Encourage them not only
to know what the Bible teaches but also to act on it courageously (James 1:22).
January – March 2012
How can we construct safer buildings? How can we clean up emissions from power plants? Increasingly, engineers are turning to God’s original designs in nature to solve difficult engineering problems. What a testimony to our wise and caring Creator! Also, learn how God is using Amish believers in the USA to help build a new full-size Ark. Plus, discover what the Bible says about those mysterious giants, the Nephilim.
Risk-free trial issue!
If you decide you want to keep Answers coming, simply pay your invoice for just $24 and receive four issues (a full year) more. If not, write “cancel” across the invoice and return it. The trial issue is yours to keep, regardless!
Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.
New subscribers only. No gift subscriptions.
Offer valid in U.S. only.