Looks like you are using an old version of Internet Explorer - Please update your browser
So please start shopping to help make a difference in the life of a child. And pray that God will use your compassion to bless a needy child in a third world country.
As I have written before, for the past 20 years about 100 million children in over 130 countries have enjoyed getting shoebox gifts from OCC—an outreach of Samaritan’s Purse. These Christmas gifts—including the gospel message—are distributed to children throughout the world.
Here is what Ronda of our staff shared with me about packing the shoeboxes:
Some tips for packing your boxes:You can find out more about the entire OCC project on the Samaritan’s Purse website.
Think about what items you can give a child that will be fun, comforting, and maybe a teaching tool—plus necessities they may not be able to afford like shoes, socks, wash cloth, etc. I even go as far as to think about things parents might be able to use, like rubber bands, paper clips, small tools, a fishing kit, etc.
- Do not pack any type of liquid, including lotions, hand sanitizers, and (sadly) bubbles.
- If giving a bar of soap, put it in zip lock bag (if possible, double the bags). Do not put anything else in the bag that contains the soap.
- Put candies and gum in zip lock bags.
- Toys and non-edible items should be removed from their packaging to create more space (unless there are directions on the package). Most children will not be able to read the packaging in English anyway.
- Toy guns, weapons, or army-type toys are not allowed.
- Remember to include a pencil sharpener if you give pencils.
Consider putting a picture of you or your family with a note inside the box. If you put your address, sometimes the children will write to you, but don’t be disappointed if they don’t since buying stamps is not easy in many countries.
Thanks for stopping by and thanks for praying, Ken
Answers in Genesis is an apologetics ministry, dedicated to helping Christians defend their faith and proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ effectively. We focus on providing answers to questions about the Bible—particularly the book of Genesis—regarding key issues such as creation, evolution, science, and the age of the earth.