Glue, pipe cleaner, and popsicle sticks—what comes to mind? Well, if you’re a VBS craft director or volunteer, you’re probably immediately thinking of VBS crafts 2022. If your church is using Zoomerang: Returning to the Value of Life, you’ll be excited to see the crafts options we’re offering for this fun Australian-themed, pro-life VBS.
Now here’s five tips for making your VBS crafts in 2022 the best ever:
- Reduce, reuse, recycle. Spend some time now or after Christmas, during the “slower” season before VBS planning really kicks into gear, to sort through your church’s craft supplies. You may be surprised what you already have that will work for 2022. Answers VBS doesn’t have expensive crafts kits. Rather, they’re designed to be made with inexpensive materials that you may already have on hand. This makes it easy to plan for any group size without going over budget. Speaking of the budget . . .
- Determine your budget and base your craft selections around it. We offer a main craft idea and then several additional ideas so that you can choose what works best for your group (and your budget). If you have a smaller budget, consider doing a “big” craft one or two nights and a smaller craft the other three nights. There’s lots of flexibility when it comes to crafts.
- Reinforce the main lesson. Don’t let this time go to waste! Crafts certainly do their job of keeping kids busy and having fun, but ultimately, everything included with Zoomerang is there to reinforce the main Bible lesson of the day. Take time to familiarize yourself with the main lesson and use craft time to water the seeds that were planted. This not only reinforces the main lesson but also gives children something to share with their family when they show off their masterpiece at home. You can find tips for leading crafts in the Science and Crafts Guide.
- Keep sharpies and baby wipes on hand. Sharpies have a bad habit of disappearing! Keep a few extras on hand so that you can easily write children’s names on their crafts so that no one takes home the wrong artwork. It’s helpful to task one volunteer with the job of writing out names. Also, pick up a few packs of baby wipes. They’re great for cleaning marker off hands, catching that spilled glue, and dealing with any other accident that might happen.
- Get prepared by joining us for the Zoomerang Showcase event. See live craft demonstrations and more when you join us for the Zoomerang Showcase at the Ark Encounter, January 29, 2022.
When you order your Zoomerang kit through the Answers VBS store, you'll receive a PDF of the complete craft guide (and 8 other leader guides) through the myAnswers portal so that you can get a head start on planning your crafts now!