- Square tissue boxes, 1 per child
- Blue spray paint, amount varies
- Bright green construction paper, one ¼ sheet per child
- Sea Creatures pattern
- Clamshell Notes pattern
- White copy paper, 2 sheets per child
- Ocean of Thanks Verse pattern
- White copy paper, 1 sheet for every 30 children
Tools and Basic Supplies
- Office paper cutter
- Glue sticks
- Markers, crayons, or colored pencils
- Remove any plastic from the holes in the tops of the
- Spray paint the tissue boxes blue.
- Cut bright green construction paper into quarter
sheets, 1 per child.
- Copy Sea Creatures pattern onto white copy paper, 1
pattern per child.
- Copy Clamshell Notes pattern onto white copy paper, 1
pattern per child.
- Copy the Ocean of Thanks Verse pattern onto white
copy paper. Then cut out one verse for each child.
Show the sample craft and say:
Today you’re making an Ocean of Thanks box. It’s fun to
get into the habit of writing down or drawing one thing
you’re thankful for each night before going to bed and
then putting it into your box.
Let’s practice before we start. Turn to your neighbors and
tell them something you’re thankful for. Do so.
Did anyone think to say they’re thankful they are a child
of God? For those who are, that is the greatest thing ever
to be thankful for. If you're not sure if you're a child of
God, take the time to talk to your leader today about it!
Class Time Directions
- Tear thin strips of bright green construction paper for
seaweed. The strips should come to a point at one end.
Then glue stick the strips to the front and sides of the
box to look like seaweed rising from the ocean floor.
- Color the fish and cut out. Then glue stick to the front
and sides of the box.
- Cut out the verse and glue stick to the front of the box.
- Cut out the clamshell notes so you’re ready to start
using your Ocean of Thanks box.
- Sea creature stickers can be used instead of the Sea Creatures
pattern. Fun foam stickers are particularly fun! Marbled green construction paper looks particularly
awesome as seaweed.
- To save a little time and money, the clamshell notes
can be optional. Instead, the children can use their own
small note paper from home.
- Attach a small envelope to the back to hold the clamshell
Super Simple Idea
Try the following Oriental Trading Company craft kit. (Call
1-800-875-8480 or visit www.orientaltrading.com.)
- DIY Fabulous Foam Notebooks (IN-57/2078)—Manufacturer
does not recommend for children under 3 years