The Creator gave the zebrafish the ability to regenerate its skin, fins, heart, and even its brain in larval stages.
The Creator gave the zebrafish the ability to regenerate its skin, fins, heart,
and even its brain in larval stages. Zebrafish also seem to have the ability
to regenerate photoreceptors and retinal neurons following injury.
- The zebrafish is named for its five uniform, horizontal blue stripes on
the side of its body, all of which extend from the gill cover back to the
- The male is torpedo shaped and has gold stripes between its blue stripes;
the female has a larger, whitish belly and has silver stripes instead of gold.
- The embryonic development of the zebrafish is very rapid. In the first 24
hours after fertilization, all major organs form and within three days the
fish hatches and starts looking for food.
- The zebrafish is one of the few animals that have been flown into space.
- The family to which the zebrafish belongs (minnows and carps) is the largest
of all fish families, with over 2,000 species.
CLASS: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)
ORDER: Cypriniformes (carps)
FAMILY: Cyprinidae (minnows and carps)
GENUS/SPECIES: Danio rerio
Size: Up to 1.5 in (4 cm)
Diet: Worms, small crustaceans, insect larvae
Habitat: Streams, canals, ponds, and rice fields in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, and Myanmar