This potential organ, which has largely been missed by researchers for decades, is one of the largest in the human body. It’s a fluid-filled organ in connective tissue throughout our body, including below the skin’s surface. Researchers named it the “interstitium,” and, for the present, it is an unofficial new organ as consensus from other scientists must be reached before it becomes official.
Scientists originally thought this organ was a wall of collagen. They missed the fluid-filled spaces because, when preparing organs for research, these fluids are removed in the processing for viewing the specimen under a microscope. This then causes the fluid-filled spaces to collapse, concealing their true identity as part of a massive organ.
Scientists believe this organ serves as a shock-absorber to protect other organs from damage. Researchers believe this could open up whole new avenues for medical research, particularly in regard to cancer and how it moves through the body.
The more we learn about our bodies (or find what we don’t know in this case!), the more the words of the psalmist certainly ring true,
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well. (Psalm 139:14)
Get More Answers on Answers News
I discussed this item today on Answers News with regular cohosts Dr. Georgia Purdom and Bodie Hodge. Answers News is our twice-weekly news program filmed before a live studio audience here at the Creation Museum and broadcast on my Facebook page. We also discussed the following topics:
- In a religious freedom victory, an Air Force colonel’s career was restored after a discrimination case.
- Why aren’t there super-sized whales?
- Frogs are developing a resistance to a deadly fungus.
- And more!
- A commenter on Facebook today misspoke that a city in California once tried to ban hydrogen dioxide. The commenter was likely referring to this story from 2004: “Local Officials Nearly Fall for H2O Hoax.” We subsequently misspoke in quoting him on the “offending chemical” being hydrogen dioxide (which is an irregular way to refer to hydrogen peroxide) rather than dihydrogen oxide or dihydrogen monoxide (both of which are water).
- Also, Dr. Purdom misspoke about London being the world’s most murderous city, but there has been a spike of violence in 2018.
Be sure to join us each Monday and Thursday at 2 p.m. (EDT) on my Facebook page for Answers News. You won’t want to miss this unique news program that gives science and culture news from a distinctly biblical and Christian perspective.
Thanks for stopping by and thanks for praying,
This item was written with the assistance of AiG’s research team.