Strengthen your walk and deepen your understanding of the integrity and authority
of Scripture. No other document in history makes the bold claims the Bible does,
and no other document has the integrity of the Bible. This 6-week course will
teach you how to defend the young age of the universe and demonstrate the reliability
of the biblical accounts of astronomy. Other topics will include the “problem”
of distant starlight, the existence of extraterrestrial life, and problems with
the big-bang hypothesis. God has created the heavens to declare His glory and
this course will equip you to proclaim that message.
This course builds on the ideas presented in the Foundations course (we recommend APO 101 or 111 Foundations in Creation Apologetics be completed before any advanced course). The principles of presuppositional apologetics will be used to dive deeper into each topic in this course. Students will be involved
in reading articles, researching issues related to astronomy from a biblical
creationist perspective, watching videos, and completing assignments that uphold
the Bible as the ultimate source of truth—even in the field of astronomy.
- Fall 2015: october 18, 2015-December 5, 2015. Registration open September 13, 2015-October 14, 2015.
This course is not open for registration.
- Overview of the structure of the universe, galaxies, planets, and introductory
- Astronomical references in the Bible and their reliability
- Age of the universe
- Distant starlight
- Problems with the big bang hypothesis
- Extraterrestrials and UFOs
- The unique nature of the earth
- Discussion forums where instructors and students can interact
- Online quizzes with immediate feedback
- Online videos with integrated study guides
- Live chats with the instructors
- Independent projects that apply what you have learned
- Reading assignments that will engage and equip you
Upon completing the course, students will be able to:
- Describe the scientific accuracy of biblical passages that relate to astronomy.
- Use astronomical observations, alongside Scripture, to defend the young
age of the universe.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses of different solutions to the distant
- Relate problems with the big-bang hypothesis and model of the formation
of the universe.
- Describe the theological issues surrounding the existence of life outside
of the earth.
- A certificate of completion will be awarded to those finishing the course
with a final score of 75% or higher. In addition, those who pass the course
can receive 2 ACSI-accredited Continuing Education Units (CEUs): 1 in biblical
studies and 1 in educational studies.
- Students should expect to spend 6–8 hours per week working on the
assignments and participating in discussion forums. Complete the coursework
at your own pace within each week-long block. More time may be required on
weeks that include an independent project.
- The advanced courses are open for enrollment but build on information from
the APO 101/111 Foundations in Creation Apologetics course. Students are
expected to have a firm grasp on presuppositional apologetics to be
successful in any advanced course.