Location: Petersburg, KY
Department: Culinary Services
This is a manager position of considerable difficulty in planning and managing all aspects of the food service operation. Professional skills are applied in the areas of food preparation, menu planning, equipment operations and food procurement. Supervision is exercised over an Assistant Food Service Managers, Cooks, Servers, Cashiers, and Baristas. Work is performed in accordance with applicable standards and Creation Museum internal policies. Work requires professional training with the ability to manage a large staff.
- Promote the Answers in Genesis & Creation Museum mission, department goals, standards and checks.
- Ensure that safety and hygienic operations of the kitchen and ancillary areas are adhered to by all members of staff (HACCP).
- Establish department goals, standards and procedures.
- Monitor food service activities to ensure that professional standards and maintained.
- Oversee procurement of all food, ice cream, beverages, and supplies for multiple indoor and outdoor venues.”
- Select, train, monitor, evaluate, and manage 30+ seasonal, full-time, and part-time hourly and salaried food service staff and Assistant Managers.
- Work with Boone County Department of Health representatives.
- Review and approve employee timecards and benefits hours.
- Inspect, maintain, and arrange for repairs on all food service and kitchen equipment and machinery to ensure safe and proper operation.
- Work with Assistant Managers, department trainers, and Cooks on training, menu development and inventory control.
- Communicate with vendors, suppliers, contractors, caterers, and other agencies to oversee all aspects of catering and special events.
- Collaborate with senior management and marketing team on overall visual concepts including print and multimedia design.
- Prepared department budget and keep within budget projections and profit expectations. Provide oversight and direction for approved construction and equipment expenditures.
- Develop and maintain all procedures, policies, and service standards, cash handling protocol and inventory control systems.
- Promote effective communication between staff and management.
- Negotiate corporate contracts and sponsorships with corporate vendors.
Education & Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Apply for this Position
Go back to the job list
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of food preparation, quantity cooking, purchasing, menu planning and food costs.
- Considerable knowledge of the applicable professional and county governmental standards and regulations on food service standards and safety.
- Ability to plan, schedule, and supervise the work of a large staff.
- Ability to prepare departmental budget and establish appropriate work policies and procedures.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business documents.
- Ability to write reports and routine business correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients, customers, staff and museum guests.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Service Management or equivalent expertise obtained from 10+ years of food service management experience, including: both front and back of the house experience, production kitchen experience, and banquet production experience required.
- HACCP and Serve-Safe certified.
- Excellent leadership, management, interpersonal, and analysis skills.
- Proven ability to successfully analyze operational requirements, identify deficiencies and potential opportunities.
- Comfortable in both the boardroom and on the front lines of any food service operation.
- Self-motivated with the ability to lead in a variety of settings with a diverse team.
- Ability to keep a clear head in a fast-paced environment and reacts well under pressure in order to maintain pleasant working relationships with a diverse group of staff and museum guests.
- Able to regularly lift up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds. Required to bend, twist, stoop, push, pull, and stand for extended periods of time without significant rest periods.
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Suite of programs, payroll programs (preferably Paylocity), communication apps (Teams Outlook), Zoom.