Location: Petersburg, KY
Department: Guest Services
The American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreter is an ambassador of AiG to the Deaf community as they visit our attractions. The interpreter would be responsible for assisting guests that are Deaf or hard of hearing by interpreting signage, concerts, live speakers, video presentations and programs. They will also assist guests with information for their visit or interpret between guests and staff. This position reports to the Guest Services Manager, and serves Deaf guests as a first priority, while working in regular positions in Guest Services when interpreting services are not needed. This position will fulfill 180 hours of ASL-interpretation and will provide a nationally-certified interpreter as an advisor for the student. ASL Interpreters are responsible for creating the best experience possible for our guests. This position should display our Core Values of SERVE when interfacing with both internal and external customers to ensure that the message and mission of Answers in Genesis is portrayed in an effective and God-honoring fashion.
- Promote the Answers in Genesis mission and standards.
- Create a SERVE culture environment in all work done.
- Assist Deaf guests of Answers in Genesis, the Ark Encounter & Creation Museum
- Interpret as needed for live presentations, concerts, videos, signage questions, or with general questions from guests about the attractions.
- When interpreting services are not needed, work in the Guest Services department as directed by Guest Services Manager.
- Provide excellent service to all guests by creating the first impression throughout their visit at the attraction.
- Workstation may be located at the attraction entry/exit points, admissions ticketing windows, rental areas, playground, zoo, and parking lot.
- Provide excellent service to all guests by greeting, directing guests, and answer questions relative to attraction and event information and wayfinding.
- Proactively engage guests to assertively direct and enforce traffic flow.
- Assist guests with rental purchases such as lockers, scooters, wheelchairs, and strollers in a quick and efficient manner utilizing Point-of-Sale system and cash handling procedures.
- Provide guests onboarding assistance for wheelchairs, strollers, and other mobility devices to load via ramp use and position in a safe location on the bus with appropriate brakes and harnesses as needed.
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned by management.
- Must agree with and be able to sign our Statement of Faith.
- Desire to support and promote Answers in Genesis, Creation Museum, and Ark Encounter mission and Core Values.
- Maintain all policies and procedures.
- Have a heart to serve others.
- Must be able to be flexible and work under pressure.
- Highly skilled in ASL and able to work in fast-paced environments and in front of crowds
- Customer service skills: friendly and courteous with guests
- Assertive in directing traffic flow and giving directions to large crowds.
- Basic Math skills: Accuracy in cash and financial transactions with guests
- Organizational skills: rotation of date sensitive inventory and cleaning
- Must be able to stand and move about throughout the attraction for the entire length of shift.
- Perform duties in varied temperature and weather conditions throughout the attraction (e.g., extreme heat/cold, wind, rain, snow)
- Bend and lift between 25 to 75 pounds.
- Punctual: arriving to workstations at the schedule time
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred.
- State or national ASL-certification preferred.
Items Needed for Possible Employment
Apply for this Position
Go back to the job list
- Completion of on-line application, https://answersingenesis.org
- Salary Requirements
- Confirmation of your agreement with the AiG Statement of Faith
- Completion of a Background Check and Pre-Employment Drug Screen